Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Killer Koufax

Last night, I decided to do some casual reading before bed. So like any normal person, I browsed "Greatest Moments in Baseball History" circa 1987. Flipping through the pages, I came across Sandy Koufax's four no-hitters.

The Brooklyn native had no-hitters in four straight seasons, capping it all with a perfect game. Koufax retired all 27 Chicago Cubs in a 1-0 victory that proved to be even rarer than an average perfect game. The Cubs and Dodgers combined for just one hit, the only time in baseball history that's occurred. The Brooklyn southpaw also broke Bob Feller's record of three no-hitters that day (though he was eventually passed by Nolan Ryan).

Why do I bring this up? Because it occurred on September 9, 1965, 44 years ago to the day.

I figure that's too much of a coincidence for me. I had to mention it, and honor the greatest left-handed pitcher in baseball history. Here's to you, Sandy. That was quite a game you pitched.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home